Portland's unemployment rate fell to 9% in October, the same as the national rate.
Meanwhile, many rural Oregon counties still have high unemployment rates, with Crook County remaining the highest, at 15.8%.
Retailers in the Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro area added 1,500 jobs last month, the Oregon Employment Department reported Monday.
"That's a little bit stronger and a little bit earlier than normal," said Amy Vander Vliet, the agency's regional economist in Portland.
Like many other states, Oregon, with 9.5 percent unemployment in October, remains stalled as the national economy exhausts stimulus spending and waits for consumers to open wallets. The chaos in Europe is weighing down expectations, with some saying it could trigger another U.S. recession.
Read more at OregonLive.com.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- The 2023 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is open!
- New for the 2023 Survey: Customized, Supplemental 100 Best Survey Questions
- Fresh Solutions for Flexible Workplaces
- Hop In! How Shared Rides Boost Staff Benefits
- Recruit, retain employees + create thriving workplaces by leveraging low-cost commute benefits