Grid-scale energy storage has been called the "holy grail" of smart-grid technology. The variability of renewable energy — especially wind power — and the headaches it causes for power supply managers, creates the acute need for a way to store energy during times of high production.
Gridflex is years away from developing its pumped storage ideas, which would store energy by pumping water from a lower reservoir to an upper reservoir when the power isn't needed on the grid. During the generation period, stored water is released to flow downhill through a turbine to produce power.
Read more at Sustainable Business Oregon.
Latest from Oregon Business Team
- Print advertising specifications
- 100 Best Fan-Favorite Destinations in Oregon for 2020 are announced
- Video: Cyber Security for Manufacturers
- Info Package: The 2019 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon
- Mt. Bachelor Village by Meredith Lodging and Wanderlust Tours Team Up for New “Friday Frolic” Event this Summer