Homeowners associations all over Oregon are being forced to sue members for unpaid association fees, brought on by the down economy.
[The Fairview Terrace Homeowners Association] has increased its monthly HOA dues from $175 to $260. Yet it's not been nearly enough to cover the shortfall, which now exceeds $180,000. [President Leland] Jaquay's association, like many others, has chosen to file collections lawsuits against its own members and former members.
HOA dues hit a growing number of Oregonians as they moved into condos and townhomes and other planned communities. Nationally, just over 2 million people lived in communities governed by homeowner associations in 1970. By 2010, the number was 62 million.
Read more at OregonLive.com.
Latest from OBM Team
- Submit Your Business as One of the 100 Best Fan-Favorite Destinations in Oregon
- The 2020 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon survey is live!
- 2019 100 Best Nonprofits to Work for in Oregon Dinner and Celebration
- Mt. Bachelor Village by Meredith Lodging and Wanderlust Tours Team Up for New “Friday Frolic” Event this Summer
- 2019 100 Best Green Workplaces in Oregon Luncheon and Celebration