Thanks to the leadership efforts of Sussman Shank LLP's Sustainability Committee, the firm is proud to announce it has achieved Sustainability at Work's Gold Certification for the next three years, through 2020. The certification recognizes the firm's commitment to helping make Portland one of the cleanest, most sustainable cities in the country.
Sustainability at Work was formed in 2007 as part of a City of Portland initiative to help businesses improve their environmental practices. This program has been informed by national and local research, input from Portland businesses, and by the expertise of local partners to provide participants the tools needed to succeed in their sustainability efforts in the workplace.
Sustainability at Work offers three levels of certification to recognize businesses' positive impacts on the environment and community: Gold, Silver, and Certified. In order to receive Gold Certification within its office environment, Sussman Shank completed many actions to maintain daily sustainability.
Some of Sussman Shank's sustainability initiatives include:
• Caterers who follow sustainable practices – reusable dishware, buffet style serving, minimal packaging, etc.
• A system in place to gather employee feedback, comments, and suggestions related to sustainability actions at work. This includes our annual State of Sustainability meeting, blurbs in our Daily Buzz, and a Sustainability Committee available at all times.
• Alternative transportation for work-related trips whenever possible (walk, bike, transit, carshare, carpool, and/or electric vehicles).
• Bicycle tire repair kit, air pump, and a spare lock are available for employees and visitors.
• Occupancy sensors for lighting are used throughout the office.
• Yearly participation in the Bike More Challenge.
• Two-week pedometer challenge each year to encourage employees to walk more.
• Recycling and compost receptacles are provided in eating areas.
Sussman Shank's Sustainability Committee chair, Steven Mayock, shares, "The Sustainability Committee is constantly evaluating our practices to see how we can have less of an impact on the environment while still providing quality service to our clients. It's great to be recognized for our efforts, but this doesn't mean our work stops here."
Earning Sustainability at Work's Gold Certification is an honor, and Sussman Shank looks forward to its continued and improved initiatives toward sustainability.
- Sussman Shank LLP Client Spotlight: BeeHive Station
- Lane Powell Again Named One of the Nation’s Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality
- Waste heat recovery ineligible for incentives available to wind and solar
- GoGreen Conference highlights climate-friendly business practices
- Food & Beverage Manufacturers: Eschew Compositional Obfuscation