Malheur Lumber gets reprieve

Malheur Lumber gets reprieve

Malheur Lumber's sawmill is getting a short-term reprieve from private landowners who are providing timber to continue operations.

Company officials announced earlier this month that the mill would be mothballed about Nov. 1 due to lagging timber supply off federal forests.

"A number of private landowners were very worried and concerned that (with the shutdown) they wouldn't be able to sell their timber," Bruce Daucsavage said this week.

Daucsavage, president of Malheur's parent company, Ochoco Lumber Co., said the owners have proposed to provide timber for the mill. He said it's not a lot of volume, but enough to extend the mill operations 30-60 days beyond the November projection.

Read more at Capital Press.

{biztweet}malheur{/biztweet}