|| Print ||
|Friday, June 14, 2013|
BY TOM COX | BIZ TIPS CONTRIBUTOR
I was recently asked, how much do people lie to their bosses and what can be done about it?
I covered some of this in “Why the Boss is Always Wrong.”
I’m a coach to CEOs and the CEO of a startup.
Lying to the boss happens constantly across organizations.
The one universal constant about lying: people do it to ‘manage’ or manipulate the boss’ reactions.
If you want to know what people are lying to you about, that’s easy. Just ask people what you react to the most negatively.
Blow up about bad customer service? Customer service problems will be hidden from you.
Shame people publicly about losing a sale? Elaborate stories will be invented to deflect your wrath.
That’s 75% of lying to the boss. The other 25% comes from people who got conditioned by some prior boss (or parent or teacher) to hide bad news, and they’re projecting that onto you.
You can overcome it, with time and patience. Here are your steps, with tips for getting your head straight:
Summary — if you’re lied to a little, it’s par for the course. Over time and with patience, you’ll train your people to quickly and easily tell you the truth.
If you’re lied to a lot, and you’re the CEO, then at some level you’re creating it.
Tom Cox is a Beaverton consultant, author and speaker. He coaches CEOs on how to boost performance by building workplace trust.
|The Love Boat|
|The Food Pod Grows Up|
|The High Road|
|Tinker, Tailor, Portland Maker|
|The Shift to Community Health Care|
|The Harder They Fall|
|Another chapter to the Bezos/Musk space race story|
|Thanksgiving travel: Fuel costs low, terrorism anxiety high|
|Costco chicken salad linked to E. coli case in Washington|
|Nestle comes clean about benefitting from slave labor|
|Enormous drugmaker emerges from Pfizer, Allergan deal|
|Startups joining lobbying game|
|Merchants complain as Square goes public|
Economic diversity has proven a smart strategy for the Port of Hood River. How can other Oregon communities replicate the model?
Phone, Internet needs of small community school districts earn attention of top-five telecom provider.
Farmland LP grows its vision for organic farming in Oregon.
The Salem Convention Center has capped its tenth anniversary year by earning the prestigious “Best of the Best 2015” award from NW Meetings & Events magazine. Selected as the Best Convention/Conference Venue in Oregon by meeting and event planners from Alaska, British Columbia, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, the Salem Convention Center ranked above the Oregon Convention Center and the Portland Art Museum.
The Oregon Cooperative Hall of Fame honors individuals for their outstanding contributions to the successful building and operation of Oregon agricultural cooperatives.
Health insurer reports $10.2 million in net income after taxes through the first nine months of 2015.