Portland is temporarily closing Lownsdale and Chapman Squares to the public, the site where Occupy Portland demonstrators have been camped out for more than a month. At 12:01 a.m. Sunday Nov. 13, all people and property in the squares will be subject to enforcement of local laws, according to Portland Mayor Sam Adams.
What is it about Portland that makes it a hub for a new type of business that focuses just as much on sustainability as on profits? In a room packed with MBA students, small business owners and local politicians, three young, innovative CEOs explained the answer on a recent panel titled "Not Your Grandma's CEO: Innovative Leadership from the Pacific Northwest."
Seasoned executive and turnaround expert Bob Papes has engineered five consecutive turnarounds of businesses in the $15 to $35 million range. What made Bob’s efforts successful? Bob uses one word: Team. Contributing columnist Tom Cox explains how to follow in Bob's footsteps.
- Stores get head start on Black Friday
- Big banks backing off fees
- Condit Dam breached
- Obama unveils new student loan payment rules
- Home prices climbing in half of U.S., but not in Portland
- Wikileaks suspends operations
- Chinese solar companies dispute SolarWorld's complaint
- Candid feedback saves a life