Following national trends, Oregon’s manufacturing sector saw modest employment gains last year after more than a decade of decline aggravated by the Great Recession. Oregon has gained 903 jobs between October 2010 to October 2011, an increase of 0.5%.
Seasonal retail hiring helped Oregon's unemployment rate fall to 9.1%, the lowest it has been in three years.
Oregon’s top publicly traded stocks have not necessarily been valued for their quarterly performance of late. But Oregon Business research editor Brandon Sawyer runs the numbers and finds earnings rising at the largest companies.
Bank of America has agreed to pay $315 million to settle claims by investors that they were misled about mortgage-backed investments sold by its Merrill Lynch unit.
Web giants like Google and Amazon are notoriously secretive about what goes on inside of their data centers. Meanwhile, Facebook "open sourced" the designs for its Prineville data center and its custom-built servers. So just what does go on inside of those mysterious computing facilities?
- Downtown Portland gets new name: Pioneer District
- Lariviere: It's time to repair the damage
- Occupy protesters plan Black Friday demonstrations
- Groupon takes a major hit
- Occupy Portland joins nationwide N17 protests
- Governor looks for new prison chief
- SeaPort Airlines gets Jackson nod
- Annual summit expands to 2 days