|| Print ||
|Articles - December 2010|
|Wednesday, November 17, 2010|
Big deals, mergers and transactions of the month:
1. Intel announced that it would invest approximately $8 billion to build a new fabrication plant and retrofit two plants in Hillsboro, and renovate two plants in Arizona. The factories will employ 800 to 1,000 people to engineer 22-nanometer chips. Intel, based in Santa Clara, Calif., estimates about 6,000 to 8,000 construction jobs will be created during the building. The new factory will open in 2013.
2. Beaverton-based Digimarc, a digital media and technology company, signed a $36 million licensing deal with Intellectual Ventures Management (IV) from Bellevue, Wash. Digimarc made the deal to diversify its market for proprietary technologies and increase its number of patents. Digimarc will also receive 20% of IV’s profits resulting from new licenses.
3. Hillsboro-based Lattice Semiconductor, a manufacturer of programmable logic chips announced it will reclaim $20 million in common stock next year. Lattice made the repurchase decision after hiring new CEO Darin Billerbeck. The new CEO has held executive positions at Intel, and recently was CEO of Zilog, a dealer of embedded system-on-chip products.
4. The nonprofit Macdonald Center in Portland announced that it would demolish the West Hotel to build a $10 million 42-unit low-income apartment complex, along with facilities to provide services for the poor. The new center is partly funded by $6.3 million in federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, as well as grants and a Meyer Memorial Trust pledge.
5. Giftango, the Portland online greeting card company, ended its Series B financing with more than $5 million from Taylor Corporation, a privately held U.S. graphics communications company, and other Series A investors.
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
BY HANNAH WALLACE | OB BLOGGER
Demand for organic food continues to soar: Last year, sales of organic food rose to $32.3 billion — up 10% from 2012. In Oregon, organic produce wholesaler Organically Grown Co. has been championing organic growing methods for four decades.
Wednesday, August 06, 2014
BY LINDA BAKER | OB EDITOR
Portland startup Green Endeavor strikes gold, inking a partnership with Underwriters Laboratories, an Illinois-based consulting and certification company with offices in 46 countries.
Monday, July 07, 2014
BY TOM COX | OB BLOGGER
Named after the 2010 experiment by Thomas Ryan, "Robin Sages" are fake social media profiles designed to encourage linking and divulging valuable information.
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
BY TOM COX | OB BLOGGER
When I say, “Your Employee is Always Right,” I do not mean “right about the facts,” but rather “right about how they feel” and “right about how they want to be led.”
Thursday, July 31, 2014
BY MARY SPILDE | OB GUEST CONTRIBUTOR
Faced with the aftermath of the “great recession,” increasing concern about the environment and dwindling family wage jobs, we have some very important choices to make about our future.
Friday, August 15, 2014
In this week's poll, we asked readers: "Who should pay for the troubled Cover Oregon website?" Here are the results.
Monday, July 14, 2014
BY VIVIAN MCINERNY | OB BLOGGER
Some people think Amazon’s winking eye logo is starting to look like a hoodwink.
|The Private 150: Bigger But Leaner|
|The Perfect Food|
|Powerlist: Staffing Firms|
|Taxis Uber Alles?|
|U.S. dollar hits nine-month high against euro|
|Demand for tablets declines|
|U.S. housing market improving|
|Hospital network hacked, 4.5M records stolen|
|Dollar General enters bid for Family Dollar|
|More than a third of Americans lack retirement savings|
|Coca-Cola acquires major stake in Monster Beverage|
Vigilant enters a New Year with a new president.
How George Fox has become one of Oregon's largest private universities.
Forest Grove sees growth in the burgeoning food and beverage scene.
Fifty-one Lane Powell lawyers were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Best Lawyers) 2015; of those selected, 23 lawyers are from the Firm’s office in Portland, Oregon.
Barran Liebman is proud to announce that Andrew Schpak, a Partner of the firm, has been named Chair of the American Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division for the 2014-2015 bar year.
Vanessa Sturgeon and Miller Nash LLP were selected as leaders in encouraging female advancement.