|| Print ||
|Articles - October 2010|
|Tuesday, September 28, 2010|
The big transactions, mergers and deals of the month.
1. Intel Corp. has made its biggest acquisition to date by purchasing security software maker McAfee Inc. for $7.68 billion. Intel has also bought Germany’s Infineon Technologies’ wireless communications unit for $1.4 billion in cash. Both moves demonstrate Intel’s effort to expand beyond the personal computer market.
2. Salem-based Sunwest Management Inc. completed a sale of 132 of their senior living facilities in a transaction valued at $1.2 billion. Sunwest has faltered in the last couple years due to the credit crisis, SEC fraud allegations and an extensive bankruptcy reorganization.
3. Lake Oswego-based Greenbrier Companies has announced $130 million worth of new railcar orders and will add 260 workers to the Gunderson railcar manufacturing facility in Northwest Portland. The company has over 1,700 new orders and 1,200 refurbishment orders.
4. Wilsonville-based FLIR Systems has acquired sensor technology company ICx for $274 million, and added a $27 million contract with the U.S. Navy for infrared tracking systems. FLIR makes thermal imaging systems and will use ICx to expand its business into sensors for defense and homeland security markets.
5. Portland-based Blount International has purchased Colorado-based SP Companies Inc., which makes log splitters, for $90 million. Blount makes chain saws and outdoor products for the forestry, garden and construction industries. Blount will use the deal to expand into the ranch and farm markets.
6. Vestas, the world’s largest wind turbine maker, will convert a vacant building in Portland’s Pearl District into its new $66 million North American headquarters. The building will accommodate up to 600 employees and host the city’s largest collection of solar panels.
Wednesday, August 06, 2014
BY LINDA BAKER | OB EDITOR
Portland startup Green Endeavor strikes gold, inking a partnership with Underwriters Laboratories, an Illinois-based consulting and certification company with offices in 46 countries.
Monday, August 25, 2014
BY JASON NORRIS | OB GUEST BLOGGER
Ferguson Wellman’s investment views on the economy and capital markets.
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Kim Ierian, President of Concorde Career Colleges, and Deborah Edward, Executive Director of Business for Culture & the Arts, share their recent reads.
Monday, July 14, 2014
BY TERRY "STARBUCKER" ST. MARIE
I really didn’t know that much about angel investing, but I did know a lot about the entrepreneurial spirit.
Thursday, August 28, 2014
OB Research Editor Kim Moore shares some pointers about the 100 Best Companies to Work For survey.
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
BY JON BELL
Startup culture is all the rage. Is there a downside?
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
By Kim Moore | OB Editor
The 2015 survey launched this week. It is open to for-profit private and public companies that have at least 15 full- or part-time employees in Oregon.
|The Private 150: Bigger But Leaner|
|The Perfect Food|
|Powerlist: Staffing Firms|
|Taxis Uber Alles?|
|Google tests drone deliveries|
|Abercrombie to remove logos from most clothing|
|FBI investigates JPMorgan 'cyber-attack'|
|GoPro launches camera dog harnesses|
|Snapchat now worth $10B|
|Tomatoes may lower prostate cancer risk|
|WHO: Ban e-cigarette use indoors|
Vigilant enters a New Year with a new president.
How George Fox has become one of Oregon's largest private universities.
Forest Grove sees growth in the burgeoning food and beverage scene.
Lane Powell Shareholder William T. Patton has been appointed to the board of directors for Cascade AIDS Project, an organization that provides educational services and outreach to thousands of Oregonians living with HIV/AIDS.
Fifty-one Lane Powell lawyers were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Best Lawyers) 2015; of those selected, 23 lawyers are from the Firm’s office in Portland, Oregon.
Barran Liebman is proud to announce that Andrew Schpak, a Partner of the firm, has been named Chair of the American Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division for the 2014-2015 bar year.