Dahlias are odorless, but famously big and brightly colored; their vibrant, spiky blooms tend to dominate a garden. But the Northwest frost shrivels them completely, and at Swan Island Dahlias in Canby, where there are 40 acres of the flowers, it's as if a light has gone out.
Painting a detailed picture of exactly who is getting laid off in Oregon is hampered by incomplete statistics. What seems clear is that because of the collapse of the housing, lumber and construction industries, joblessness has hit men hardest and the trend of men losing their jobs faster than women is occurring not only in Oregon but across the nation.
- A holly, jolly forecast
- Fresh hope for the mint industry
- Big contract in a little town
- Red tape for green projects
- Solarize Portland catches fire
- A downtown anchor
- Graphic: Transportation equipment jobs
- JumpTown gets off the ground
- A new model
- The right stuff
- Reader input: Stimulus results