The survey was voluntary and free of charge. Participating nonprofits had to employ at least 10 Oregon workers (and/or volunteers who worked an average of 20 or more hours per month) at the time of the survey. Organizations were categorized as small if they had fewer than 20 Oregon employees; medium if they employed 20-49; and large if they employed 50 or more in Oregon. For the 2013 survey more than 5,100 nonprofit workers rated their satisfaction with 159 organizations in 25 workplace qualities — five in each of the following categories:
- Work Environment: scheduling, diversity, family balance, teamwork, fun, technology, policies and procedures
- Management & Communications: treatment and feedback from supervisors, workplace communications, discipline for poor performance, rewards and acknowledgement for top performance
- Mission & Goals: progress of mission, trust in management and board, employee involvement in decisions, community support, workplace pride
- Career Development & Learning: on-the-job training, off-site education and training, growth opportunities, promotion and advancement, job goals and expectations
- Benefits & Compensation: adequacy and fairness of pay, health and wellness plan, retirement plan, paid time off and leave, opportunities for better pay and benefits
EMPLOYER BENEFITS SURVEY
Organization representatives answered about 50 questions covering a comprehensive set of benefits including health and wellness, time off, family-friendly policies, work scheduling, incentives, retirement plans and culture.
The employee survey counted for 5/6 of a nonprofit’s score. For each organization, the average employee satisfaction rating was calculated in each of the five categories above on a scale of 0-100. The benefits survey was also scored on a 100-point scale, accounting for the remaining 1/6 of the overall score, resulting in a total possible score of 600.
HOW TO ENTER THE 2014 100 BEST NONPROFITS:
- Eligibility: Any nonprofit 501(c)-type organization, government agency, association, hospital, credit union, etc., with at least 10 employees (and/or volunteers who work an average of 20 or more hours per month) in Oregon will be eligible to enter the 2013 survey. Organizations may be based outside the state but only their Oregon workers may participate.
- Survey period: The process for 2014’s list will begin in April and end in June 2014. There is no charge to participate, and organizations that do not make the list will remain anonymous. All participants that complete the process can obtain survey results.
- Submitting your workplace: Send an email with your name, title, phone number and email address to: email@example.com.
- Mark your calendar: The sign-up link will be posted to oregonbusiness.com/100bestnonprofits/ April 2014.
Want to have the full list?
Do you place a high priority on social causes? Are you looking for great workplaces that do the same?
Click the PayPal button now to start your order for the enhanced version of the 100 Best Nonprofits to Work for in Oregon list for 2013.
As a bonus, you'll also receive the 100 Best Green Companies to work for in Oregon 2013!
For only $8, safely purchased through PayPal, you will receive:
Click the PayPal button at right to start your order.
You will receive the files to your PayPal account's email address immediately after purchase.
Problems? Please contact us.